Friday, January 29, 2010

"My Thingy Is Bigger Than Your Thingy," Says She

A rational person would think that being the subject of a noise nuisance lawsuit would encourage some behavior modification directed toward accommodation at the least, conciliation maybe, or amicable resolution at best.

Irrational persons, however, think just the opposite. Any suggestion they are causing a problem is immediately reflected back on the other party as the troublemaker. A direct request to change incites them. Any action taken against them to produce change inflames them. Indeed, to self-justify their antisocial actions and to prove their "right" to be pricks, they retaliate by increasing the intensity of their nuisance.

So, we revisit the outdoor speaker...

Yep, that magic rock sure worked today! A few minutes after I arrived home for lunch, the magic rock sensed I was there and turned itself UP from NORMAL to OAKLAND RAIDERS LOUD (see 4th stanza).

(C'mon! If you still believe in magic rocks and Oakland Raiders, you got rocks in your head!)

The hard-of-hearing stereo fairies next door appear convinced that I like their choice of music, that I want to hear their choice of music, and that I cannot hear their choice of music if I'm inside my house. Obviously, their stereo is playing their choice of music too softly and, therefore, must be cranked up.

How high can it go? I dunno - let's measure it. Got out the ol' decibel meter, set it to A-weighted, fast response, and approximated the range on the dial.

Nope, the 60 range was too low. So was the 70 range too low. Ahh, yes... the 80 range is just right!

YEAH, BABY!  MEGA 100 ELEVATOR SCHLOCK AT 80 DECIBELS!  NOW WE'RE GROOVIN'!


EH... WHAT'S THAT, YOU SAY?

"If'n it don't rock the neighborhood, it don't belong in my yard."

Yes, headphones and ear buds are anathema to the true blue, dyed in the wool, leather neck, hash slinging, xxxxxphobic audiophile.

No comments: